Maptiler+ Davidson in 1969

I had very similar issues with Maptiler when compared to my classmates (particularly Joe). It is very simple- there are only a few pages to click through making it far less intimidating than QGIS. In fact, I thought the entire process would be super simple based on how simple it was getting to the page where I was forced to do the overlapping. Before I could get to that page, I realized that I would have to rely on a googlemap image of davidson college. This image did not fit well with the map I chose, although I had high hopes. My map is too wide making everything a bit off of scale. When I finally found the best overview shot, and was ready to lay my map over, I realized I’d have to rely more on my map directory to understand how much the campus has changed since 1969. A lot of the buildings were moved, some changed names and new ones were built. This narrowed my reference points down to Belk, Chambers, Duke, Baker Drive and Concord road. When I finally, was ready to have my map rendered I was immediately disappointed at how different the two maps were. I played around with adding new points and tried my best to make the existing choices very precise but, my best map still isn’t a perfect overlay.

I think that the Maptiler can improve by having a few tools to help manipulate the overlay map especially if it is meant to fit a googlemap image. Because googlemap images can be as close or as far as the user wants, being able to rotate, cut and reshape the image that is being overlayed will significantly improve the precision. When I tried adding nearly 7 points, I became frustrated at how distorted my map became, making it impossible to understand. Finding the middle road would be the best, and that falls on the user to decide how many points to use. 3 is too little and 7 is too many.

 

https://54ab69828fac3cefb7996d0a0a971b8d58d0c923.googledrive.com/host/0Bzi_ze1VzfJbd2NmSkxJb1lidU0/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.